Dienstag, 18. Juni 2013

Dan Brown - Inferno

I am back. Yes, my exams are finally over (as well is my stay in Oslo) and I am in reading mode again. I literally didn't open a book (besides university literature) since April but now I am back on the reading track.
The first book I want to write about is Dan Brown's new super bestseller Inferno. I wasn't super excited about it (I am kind of over Dan Brown) but a friend read it and she needed someone to talk about it. Oh and well, here I am for the rescue. Fortunately, my library had it available as an e-book from the 11th of June on, which was perfect timing as I had my last exam on the 10th.
The start of the story is exhausting. Robert Langdon suffers from amnesia and he is soooo confused by the fact that someone is trying to kill him. Yeah Robert, like that never happened to you before... You are trapped in a mysterious story again but you have no idea what got you there. 
Of course, Robert has a female companion who obviously has something to hide (but Robert is not aware of that).
Symbols were a lot less important in this book which kind of raises the question why Robert is part of the story. Apart from that, it's a classic Dan Brown book with many twists and even more mysteries, peaking in a very unrealistic (even in Dan Brown terms) finale.
It is definitely not his best book but this may be related to the fact that I am just over Robert Langdon stories (the 'relationships' he has with the female companions are always so predictable and in the end he just concludes "I am sorry, I am too old for you"...). This was the first time, I wasn't excited about a Dan Brown book when starting it and the excitement never really came up. It wasn't really hard for me to put it down which is definitely not a good sign. Dan, I think we are done here. Maybe it is because I now always have the image of Tom Hanks in my head when reading your books. Anyway, take your time with the next Langdon book....

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen